Monday, December 1, 2008

RADIO DAZE..............

Grown-ups LOVE to ask kids what they want to be when they grow up. For awhile I think I answered "dancer".
But, oooops! I am NOT graceful. Hmmmmm...what next?
Then I started answering "artist". I loved to color!
Oooooops again! Turns out there isn't a big market for crayola art. And I never progressed much beyond the stick figures in the drawing department.
Lets see, what else? Animals! I loved animals!
Even though that has always been part of my life (mom rescued animals ALL the time!), the pay for an animal activist is strangely lacking.
NEXT!!!!
Finally, I came upon an idea that just might work.....MUSIC!!!! Of course! I listen to music all the time! Even had my very own orange plastic record-player. Played mom's old 45's everyday.
(Yes, I did just say record player and 45's.....and I'm not talkin' SPF here).
However, I can't sing. Trust me, it's frightful! I liked the IDEA of playing an instrament. But actually PRACTICING.........not so much.
Then, I discovered RADIO!! You mean I could talk (LOVE to do that!), and listen to music all day.....and get PAID for it??? YAHOO!!!!!!
That described my entire career as a teenage! Talking and playing music! YES! This radio thing was the answer!

I actually started when I was about 14 (1984...the year...not the George Orwell book). How I got my headphones on over all that 80's teased-out-aquanet-schelacked hair I will never know!

Mom drove me to work (not old enough to do it myself). I started "interning" which was great because back then radio interns actually LEARNED stuff as opposed to getting coffee and doing stupid stunts for the Morning Guys like they do now.

PLUS, you had to be liscensed by the FCC back then to run the equiptment. I was so proud when I finally got that thing! Better than a diploma!!
As soon as I graduated High School, I got a full-time (paying) radio gig. LOVED EVERY MINUTE!
Lots of crazy stuff, met many amazing people, worked a wide variety of formats. Too much stuff to tell you about right now! But it was great (overall), never regreted those years!

I left radio in May of 1999 (another VERY long story...will blog on that later). You have know idea how bummed I was that I wasn't going to be able to play Prince's "1999" on the air that New Years Eve! (It's a radio thing....trust me).

Radio is so different now. In a way I think I got out just in time. Satellite and internet radio was on the rise. The FCC was deregulating left and right, so a few huge companies owned ALL of the stations. More "recorded" programming. Less freedom to experiment, have fun, actually DISCOVER new music.
And trust me, even though "payola" is illegal.....it happened ALL THE TIME!!!! Thus, consultants controled EVERYTHING we said and ALL the music we played.
By the way....consultants were stupid AND very corrupt....not a good combo.

But it was an incredible experience! And lots of fun! Tell you all more about that world some other time..........