Saturday, March 14, 2009

No, I'm not dead!

Sheesh!!! A girl takes a couple weeks off from writing and POW!!
So here I am, my wonderful friends, blogging....just for you! It's all 'cause I love you, you know.
I found out something somewhat sad today. My husband is a teacher (NO, that's NOT the sad part.....well...unless you consider the pay....), and he was telling me about his day at School.
First: There are several gay Teachers at his school. We are friends with many of them. All typical family- types. Several are in long term committed relationships, home owners, dog lovers. They go to Wal-Mart. Cook dinner. Mow the lawn. Shovel their sidewalks in the winter. Basically, they are like all of the OTHER teachers. Normal humans doing normal things.
Okay, maybe the guys DRESS a little better/sharper....but, hey, you can't stiffle the fashion gene, now can you?
Anyway, the head of my husband's department has been there about 12 years, or so. Not sure how old she is, early 50's, maybe? Has a husband, grown children, ect.
She has been the head of said department for a few years now.
Apparently, she has let it be known that she does NOT approve of the "lifestyle" of her gay co-workers.
AND, it seems these co-workers are getting poor reviews because of it.
One in particular, a guy I really adore (he and his husband got married in Canada several years ago, just the sweetest couple you ever would meet), has been so discouraged but her words/actions, that he is thinking of QUITTING.
Now, MY first inclination is to go to the school on Monday and tell that old woman where she can stick it and remind her that the PRIVATE domestic lives of ANY of her "underlings" is none of her doggone business!
Not to mention, oh, I don't know.....discrimination?? Hello!!!
But, I won't do that because, well, my husband agrees with me but he would be MORTIFIED if I did such a thing.
Plus, in this economy, I don't want to jeapaordise his career. We have a house payment after all.
But it really irks me that in this day and age, disapproving of ones "lifestyle" is still a problem. And I thought I LIKED this woman. Who knew she was SO ignorant?
What's more, how is that considered professional for her to run all over that school telling people she "disapproves" of a co-workers lifestyle?
(The ironic thing, my hubby said, is that several of the teachers she complained to happen to be GAY!!! Just not as "out"....for obvious reasons...apparently).
WHEN is this nonsense going to end? Why is it still okay for so many people to "disapprove" of someone because of their sexual-orientation/gender identity?

Oh, I get why the "fundamantalists", like (some) of the narrow-minded people I went to school with, hold that opinion.
But won't THEY be surprised when they die and discover....there are GAY PEOPLE IN HEAVEN!!! ACK!!!
Actually.....that will be kinda humorus to watch...but that's just me.

I know, you can't fix "stupid". But, do me a favor. Heck, do ALL of us a favor. If you see that happen at YOUR job, or church, or wherever.....SAY something.
Stand up, even if it's just to say "You know what? I don't think this is work appropriate, lets talk about somethin else".
Lets let these people know that we won't stand around while ignorant homophobic/racist/anti-semitic ect. comments are made.
No, we cannot FIX stupid.......but we can give it a good kick in the butt!